WELCOME!!!

This is Danielle's blog and my aim is to make searching for your favourite things as easy as possible Enjoy!

Tuesday 22 March 2011

DOUBLE PAGE SPREAD FOR MUSIC MAGAZINE RESEARCH

I took this double page spread from a Top of the Pops magazine, and although it still retains a girly topic and a picture that will appeal to girls it looks more formal than some of the other double pages I have seen due to the layout of the writing and the lack of girly colours. Therefore I don't think this is a magazine double spread that will appeal to all girls aged 11 - 17. The only thing that I like about this double page spread is the pose that Thomas is doing, and how the title is big and the words are of different thicknesses and colours.  



I am considering doing a double page spread of competitions for my music magazine, and I got this example from a recent Top of the Pops magazine. I love the use of colours and as we know Top of the Pops is aimed at a younger generation and this is reflected in it's girly choice of colours and prizes.We can also tell that the language used is appropriate for this younger age group around 11 - 17, as it is short concise and avoids complicated vocabulary in a way that would not be seen as patronising (just easily understood). Also I love the way the title of this page and it's smaller headlines are big, bold and colourful so I will try to incorporate
this into my own double page spread. 



I like the idea of doing a double page spread of the latest fashion icons and items as I think this is something that will appeal to the age group I am trying to target. Again I took this example from a recent Top of the Pops magazine as I feel that Top of the Pops is a perfect example of what I should do to appeal to a young and teenage audience. I also like the way that the title 'The Latest' is pink and red and how by every fashion accessory on the page 'The Latest' is written and stays true to the same colours (red and pink). The only part of this page that I defiantly intend to use though is the way each picture has an outline around this, as it draws attention to the photos, despite all the other pictures on the page.

 

The photo of Mollie in the centre third of this double page spread is the focal point, and because she takes up so much space on the page it means that there is less writing. This means that this double page spread will appeal to the age group I am trying to target as they are more interested in pictures rather than writing. Obviously Mollie is considered to be a fashion icon for the younger generation, and I like the idea of doing a double page spread of Beth with her favourite fashion items and make up products. The language used is also appropriate for a younger generation as it is short, easily understood and concise. Again I like the bold titles and how more than one colour is used, and also the outline around the less focal photos on this page draws more attention to them. Overall the use of colours, pictures and bite-size writing makes it an eye-catching double page spread.



Because I love this music magazine double page spread and how it has been set out, I have decided to do an interview with Beth for my own double page spread. The only thing I would say though is that although all the colours used on this page work well together (because red, black and white are the main colours used on this page), Cheryl seems to blend too much into the background because she is also wearing red and I want Beth to stand out on my double page spread. Also although I like how the problems have been presented as bold and with big speech marks I don't really like how they are all just white, and how they have each got a border around them. So in my own double page spread although I intend to separate each question I will not do it with a box around the text and if it fits in with my choice of background and the other colours I use I will try to make the problem headings more colourful.

I got this example of a double page spread from the Cosmopolitan magazine. Although I don't like the amount of writing on the page because it is too much, and not appropriate for the age group I am trying to target. I love the pose Kelly is assuming, and how it fills the bottom third of the page. Also I love the light pink background  because it is subtle but still shows the reader that it is a double page targeted for a girl. Also because I think pink is an obvious colour for a teenage girl magazine, I intend to use a light pink background  on my double page spread. The other idea that I want to take from this double page spread is the way that the questions are a different colour to the text, which separates the questions better and adds more colour to the pages.


I took most of the above examples of double page spreads from the Top of the Pops magazines, as I think it  is a perfect example of what I should be aiming for to appeal to the younger generation. However, I also want my magazine to appeal to a slightly older generation as well, so if I take elements from the Top of the Pops magazine and make them more interesting for both a young and teenage audience, I think I will be achieving my aim of successfully targeting an audience of girls aged between 11-17.

No comments:

Post a Comment